Andy is speaking with Sean Low on this episode of The Next Level. Sean is the Founder and of The Business of Being Creative LLC, which focuses on providing practical advice to those in the business of being creative. His client list includes the elite of the wedding industry and the design community.
David Monn is known for producing events like The Met’s Costume Institute Gala, and the iconic 100th Anniversary of the Park Plaza Hotel in NYC, to name just a couple. His clients include many social leaders from around the world. David is also a contributing editor to Departures Magazine and has been featured in numerous luxury and lifestyle publications.
This is a conversation that imparts much wisdom including his perspective on legacy, teaching your team to carry on without you, but maintaining the quality that your name invokes. Sean agrees with David’s concept of having a business structure in place that will withstand his absence and hopefully be there for many years after he is gone. Know that your business is bigger than you are and have your exit strategy in place long before you need it.
Listen and take heed to what they have to say. You can’t get this knowledge just from books but rather from people who are living it.
- [00:43] Welcome back to the show, Sean!
- [03:27] Andy and Sean discuss David’s view on who attends not-for-profit events and why. You need to put the focus on the event itself, not the cause.
- [05:53] Never let an honoree speak at an event; they are not performers.
- [07:51] Will your business carry on without you? What business structure do you have in place to build and carry on your legacy?
- [10:15] Sean speaks about legacy in the event industry and how it can strengthen the industry.
- [14:15] Business owners need the humility to know that your business is more significant than you, have your exit strategy set up so that your company will flourish.
- [16:07] Being dispensable in your business allows you to make time for yourself. Train people along the way whom you trust to take over if and when you are not there.
Follow The Wedding Biz on Social:
Follow David Monn
This Week’s Guest Co-Host, Sean Low, Founder and President of The Business of Being Creative LLC.
Sean Low on the Wedding Biz
Email Sean: email@example.com