Listen as Andy Kushner and Michael Uncapher discuss Lisa’s winding road to the event industry, how she taps into the “intangible soul” for an event, how important she feels lighting is to any event, plus much more on this episode of The Next Level.
Michael is the Co-Owner and Managing Director with Mark’s Garden out of Los Angeles. Mark’s Garden has crafted floral designs for the Academy Awards Governor’s Ball for the past twenty-six years, plus television Emmy Awards, Golden Globe Awards, top-level civic events and a long list of celebrity weddings including Pink, Gwen Stefani, Heidi Klum, Jennifer Lopez, and Jessica Simpson to name a few.
Lisa is a world-renown celebrity event planner, receiving accolades from Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Brides, BizBash, Martha Stewart, and many more. She planned events for Kobe Bryant and produced some of the most iconic celebrations, including the weddings of John Legend and Chrissy Teigen, and Kate Upton and Justin Verlander.
Listen, as Andy and Michael chat about Lisa’s unique perspective on finding the intangible soul of an event, how important lighting is for an event, and Lisa’s preference for natural light. Michael shares how important Instagram is for showcasing your work and why he sometimes takes the unique approach of taking a picture with his phone at an event to see how his creations will look on Instagram, what a great idea!
Also, Andy has launched a new podcast network called The Wedding Biz Network, in which he produces podcasts for other people in the event industry, with Sean Low being its first member. Sean’s show, The Business Of Being Creative, comes out every Tuesday and stay tuned for more new show announcements coming soon.
SUPPORTING THE WEDDING BIZ
Become a patron and support Andy and the show: For as little as $6 per month, or $0.75 per episode, are you willing to support the industry insights Andy brings on his podcast? If you are so inspired: contribute.
- [01:22] Welcome back to the show, Michael!
- [03:20] Michael shares his background and how he got into the event industry.
- [04:39] Michael speaks about how hard it can be for a florist to find the “intangible soul” as Lisa does.
- [06:50] Michael agrees with Lisa on how important lighting is for an event.
- [08:03] Natural light, which looks most like candlelight, is the look Lisa likes most.
- [09:07] Have you ever had an instance when you have shown up to an event, and the lighting wasn’t what you would have wanted for your floral designs?
- [11:04] Michael speaks about how important it is to use Instagram to showcase your designs.
- [13:00] Michael discusses the fact that Lisa designs websites for her clients’ destination weddings.
- [14:09] Lisa and her team feel like they know the guests before they get there because they are interacting with them through the website.
- [15:41] Michael, thank you so much for being on the show!
This Week’s Guest Co-Host, Michael Uncapher, Co-Owner and Managing Director of Mark’s Garden
Follow The Wedding Biz on Social:
The Wedding Biz on Instagram: @theweddingbiz
The Wedding Biz on Facebook: @theweddingbiz
Title Sponsor: This episode is sponsored by Kushner Entertainment
No comment yet, add your voice below!