Andy’s guest co-host today is Julie Savage. Julie is the Founder and Creative Director of Strawberry Milk Events, who has planned and designed celebrations worldwide.
Listen as they discuss how impressive it was that Caleb launched his business at 16 and filmed 40 weddings his first year, and his insights into developing relationships with his creative partners, plus much more on this episode of The Next Level.
Caleb is a brilliant filmmaker and the owner of East West Production, a full-service event filmmaking company with award-winning coverage. Caleb’s work has been showcased in publications such as People’s Magazine, particularly for shooting Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra’s wedding. He has also been featured in Vogue, Martha Stewart Weddings, Brides Magazine, and Harpers Bazaar named Caleb as one of the world’s top filmmakers.
Julie discusses how she matches her clients with creative partners like Caleb, the process they go through from there, and how it’s a learning curve to know that you are not the right person for everyone and that Caleb seemed to learn that much earlier in his career than most.
Andy and Julie share how Caleb writes a storyline, to follow when editing, and how he believes when working commercially, it’s not about the product as much as it is about the emotion behind the product and how to make that happen in a minute or less. Julie speaks about Caleb’s genuine team player attitude and how he is known for always helping creative partners where he can and how that keeps him top of mind when recommending a filmmaker to clients.
Don’t forget to listen to Andy’s other podcast, The Music Makers. It’s a podcast about behind-the-scenes stories from some of the most influential music industry pros around, including artists, recording engineers, record producers, songwriters, managers, record industry executives, and more. You can find The Music Makers podcast by searching for it in your cell phone’s podcast app or visiting www.themusicmakers.com.
SUPPORTING THE WEDDING BIZ
Become a patron and support Andy and the show: For as little as $6 per month, or $0.75 per episode, are you willing to support the industry insights Andy brings on his podcast? If you are so inspired: contribute.
- [00:55] Welcome to the show, Julie!
- [01:58] Julie shares how impressive it was that Caleb launched his business at age 16.
- [02:47] Julie discusses working with creative partners and how they reach out to them and then pass that information on to the clients.
- [03:53] Julie talks about matching their clients with creative partners.
- [04:45] Julie believes that it’s a learning curve to know that you are not right for everyone.
- [05:26] Julie speaks about Caleb’s view on scaling and how it keeps him true to who he is.
- [06:46] What separates Caleb from the rest is that he writes a storyline to follow when filming and editing.
- [07:57] They discuss how Caleb captures the emotional aspect of the story in a minute during his commercial shoots.
- [10:38] Julie shares how Caleb sends out reels of the events the next day to the creative partners.
- [12:00] Julie discusses how Caleb takes care of creative partners and develops relationships with them.
- [13:54] Caleb is a team player and has a genuine attitude, which goes a long way, especially at a destination event.
- [16:01] Julie and Andy speak about everything involved when Caleb did Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra’s wedding with a week’s notice.
- [18:20] Thank you for being on the show!
This Week’s Guest Co-Host, Julie Savage, Founder and Creative Director of Strawberry Milk Events
Follow The Wedding Biz on Social:
Title Sponsor: This episode is sponsored by PartySlate – the first website designed specifically for event professionals and venues!