The Next Level welcomes Kiana Underwood! Kiana is the founder of Tulipina, an internationally renowned floral design studio that specializes in creating incredible experiences for luxury weddings and events. She is the author of the book, Color Me Floral, which covers the secrets of designing showstopping monochromatic arrangements for each season. Her work can be seen in numerous publications and she has sold out workshops all over the world.
Rachel is a wonderful planner and designer from The Lake Como Wedding Planner based in Como, Italy. She not only works with clients directly but also has the pleasure of, as she says, morphing into the local team for many foreign companies such as planners in the states like Lisa Vorce on Chrissy Tegan and John Legend’s wedding and many others.
Kiana and Rachel share many of the same views about making quick decisions before you can talk yourself out of them, having a clean slate when working with a client so that the design is unique, and the need to see the client’s reactions to colors and places. Contrasting multi-day events so that each day is different and creating an experience from the moment you meet the prospective client.
Andy and Kiana dive into a few of the noteworthy points of his interview with Rachel. Both Rachel and Kiana are strong women who have carved out a place in the event industry to excel in their respective careers. Listen in and discover what it takes to bring your visions to life and how to have the best people around you to make it happen. You won’t want to miss this conversation if you’re going to take your business to the next level.
- [01:01] Kiana, welcome to the show!
- [02:58] They discuss Rachel’s ability to leap and do things very quickly and take risks.
- [03:39] It’s better to act soon instead of overthinking and not doing anything because of fear.
- [05:16] Kiana agrees with Rachel about wanting to start from a clean slate, no client pictures of weddings they’ve seen elsewhere.
- [06:41] They like to see the client’s reactions to colors and style.
- [07:44] Rachel wants to create contrasting events, in a multi-day event, and Kiana agrees because otherwise, the event can get boring.
- [09:11] Experiences for clients start with planning their visit beginning from when they arrive at the airport.
- [10:34] Each event is an opportunity to create and use photos taken to enhance your portfolio.
- [12:05] Purposely getting different photographers for each venue so that the pictures are diverse and seen with a different eye.
- [13:36] Kiana brings her photographers to events so that they will focus on her floral designs.
- [16:18] Having people on your team who know different languages is an advantage when doing destination weddings.
- [17:05] Kiana says that Rachel is a strong woman who is easy-going and fun.
Follow The Wedding Biz on Social:
This Week’s Guest Co-Host, Kiana Underwood founder of Tulipina
Kiana Underwood on The Wedding Biz