Andy welcomes Phil Van Nostrand back to The Next Level. Phil is based out of New York and Los Angeles. Phil photographs weddings, commercial, and lifestyle projects and is an expert at capturing bright cinematic lifestyle imagery. Listen as they discuss Josh Spiegel, the Creative Director and President of Birch Event Design, a high-end decor, production, and floral company.
Phil speaks about a support group of industry professionals that Josh is a part of during the shutdown and how he himself created his own network of people to reach out to. Phil also talks about the challenge Josh had to create something different for each event while planning daily weddings within the same group of individuals.
Phil discusses how Josh used social media to garner business during the pandemic while staying safe by doing smaller events, having the host testing each guest, and social distancing. Phil agrees with Josh that the smaller events will carry over because people see the beauty in creating an experience for their guests and being able to connect on a deeper level.
Have you heard about the brand new show on The Wedding Biz Network, Stop and Smell the Roses with Preston Bailey? Listen as Preston shares the secrets, tools, and technologies behind his extraordinary ability to create a theatrical environment out of any space. Also, don’t forget about Sean Low’s podcast The Business of Being Creative, where Sean discusses the power of being niched, pricing strategies, metrics of success, and so much more. You can find both shows on The Wedding Biz Network.
SUPPORTING THE WEDDING BIZ
Become a patron and support Andy and the show: For as little as $6 per month, or $0.75 per episode, are you willing to support the industry insights Andy brings on his podcast? If you are so inspired: contribute.
- [01:12] Welcome back to the show, Phil!
- [02:08] Phil shares that he has traveled at least once a month since the pandemic.
- [04:59] Phil discusses the support group that Josh is a part of that has helped him stay connected and grounded during the pandemic.
- [05:49] Phil says that he created his own support network during the shutdown.
- [07:04] Phil speaks about the challenge Josh had to make each wedding different when working with the same group of people for every event.
- [09:35] Phil discusses the events that Josh got from social media during the pandemic.
- [11:35] Phil shares his theory on people’s beliefs.
- [13:32] Phil agrees with Josh on creating a more special experience when you have smaller events.
- [15:10] Phil thinks that more intimate weddings are less about showing off and more about the meaning.
- [15:42] Phil discusses what he thinks the industry will be like post-pandemic.
- [17:08] Thank you so much for being on the show!
This Week’s Guest Co-Host, Phil Van Nostrand – Photographer based out of New York and Los Angeles
Phil Van Nostrand Episode 109 on The Wedding Biz
Phil Van Nostrand Episode 260 on The Wedding Biz
Follow The Wedding Biz on Social:
Title Sponsor: This episode is sponsored by PartySlate – the first website designed specifically for event professionals and venues!