In this episode of THE NEXT LEVEL, Andy and Melissa are focused on the most impactful parts of Preston Bailey’s second interview with Andy. Preston has been in the wedding business almost 40 years, so he has a tremendous amount of knowledge to share.Continue reading
REVISIT: The year is 1980. The place is New York City. And the person is Preston Bailey, who at the time was just looking for a way to pay the bills and not get evicted from his apartment. What started as a small time floral business blossomed into what we know as Preston Bailey’s immaculate and stunning work.Continue reading
When innate creativity and business collide, the world benefits from the amazing products and services those businesses provide. Creative businesses aren’t easily defined and many times, don’t fit neatly into established business niches. This episode will provide clarity and direction for any creative business owner. Today, Andy Kushner, the host of The Wedding Biz podcast, sits down for an insightful conversation about the business side of running a creative business with Sean Low, the Founder and President of The Business of Being Creative, LLC. The most obviously amazing thing about Sean is that he can see the big picture and connect the dots for any business and lead them to success – it’s part of a special magic he seems to have.
Sean Low is an entrepreneur at heart. He has a law degree and even did a stint at a Wall Street investment bank, but he didn’t let any of that stop him from seeing the potential to start a creative business. Sean knows the ups and downs of being a small business owner, as he risked and lost almost everything at the altar of his small business. Eventually, Sean really dialed in his own business acumen and went to work for Preston Bailey Designs. Sean put his skills to work and completely changed the business structure of Preston Bailey Designs, and in doing so, he breathed new life into the business and set it up for considerably higher degrees of success. Since then, Sean has worked with a host of other high profile creative business owners like Vicente Wolf, Style Me Pretty, Marcy Blum, Michelle Rago, Christian Oth and Sylvia Weinstock to name a few.
- Learn why Sean and Preston Bailey worked through some key differences in philosophical ideas concerning some early business decisions.
- Creative business is not about the money; learn what really drives a creative entrepreneur.
- Hear his philosophy on pricing your products and services.
- The emotional side of business can unravel a business; Sean shares why his job sometimes has more aspects of a therapeutic nature than you would imagine.
- Sean makes sense of business structures and processes for maximum impact to the bottom line.
- Knowing your own business identity helps you communicate what you do so that your tribe can find you.
Sean Low worked for Preston Bailey, who was also a fabulous guest on the show, so check out his interview to learn more about his business and how Sean helped it evolve. You can listen here.
Connect with Sean:
Sean’s Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Sean on Twitter – @seanlow
Sean on Facebook
The BBC Collective on Facebook